Monday, November 22, 2010

Hunting- I know its been a while

So I know everyone says they are busy but I REALLY am busy. So I've taken kind of a break from blogging trying to focus on the most important thing. But the trouble is I've noticed is once you take a leave- when you do post it doesn't seam like anyone notices so why do it? Well here I am again. I thought I put a little something up

I'd like to introduce you to someone. This is BOB- big ole' beater and he took us hunting this year. Lance built him, fixed him and painted him all last winter and it really is his baby.



So hunting... we did awesome this year!! The trifecta! Antelope, Deer and ELK!!! None of which would have been possible without wonderful fantastic Granny who so graciously watched our children over and over and OVER again so we could go out together. I took up hunting last year in an effort to spend more time with my husband. I thought it was better to join him instead of staying at home cursing him for being gone all the time. And guess what? I really like hunting and I'm pretty dang good at it!!

We started with antelope. I shot mine from, no kidding, 350 yards away! (If you don't already know- thats a really long ways away.)
Lance had a much closer shot but he had to be quick. I believe he jumped out of the truck while it was still moving to get this buck.

Then we moved onto deer which was considerably harder to hunt then last year. We were so desperate that when a fawn crossed our path we seriously considered shooting it for a minute.

After at least 6 different occasions of hunting we made one last ditch effort the morning before we drove down to Utah for my Half Marathon. Lance and I went out on our own and miracle of miracles, thank the Lord, we both got one!! I shot a little spike and Lance got a two point. Not too shabby for two desperate people. :)

Next Elk hunting... by the time we got to Elk we were both exhausted and ready to be done! But, we drew these tags back in June and had already invested over $100 so we had to give it a shot. After two really unsuccessful days of not even a glimmer of hope of seeing Elk we decided to give up. But then... the last day of hunting season... last minute, the night before we decided to go give it one last shot- but only a morning hunt. We drug our neighbor Gabe along with us who was so kind to come even though he didn't have a tag, left at 4:45am and hunted the morning. I called Melany at 10:00am to say we were on our way home because there was NOTHING out there. Minutes after I got off the phone with her Gabe spotted a herd of 100 Elk, so we turned around and 6 hours and a lot of work later we were headed home with a truck full of Elk!

Here is Lance and his Cow Elk

And me with mine. This is the closest I've been to an Elk and it was HUGE!!!!! I couldn't believe it. It was like I shot a horse and it was SERIOUSLY HEAVY!!!

This is just a cute picture of Lance- before we shot an Elk


And me... on the quest for Elk.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Ya, this is pretty much something I would probably never do myself, but how cool that you go and are dang good at it! What do you do with all that meat?! That's some interesting eats...yay for couple time!

The Mayhews said...

Kuddos! And we DO notice, and Like when you post! It's so fun to read about the things you do! I can't imagine actually hunting, but think you are just that much more amazing for doing it!

S-T.E.C.H. said...

For the record---I love reading your blog :)

Amanda Davis said...

Love to see your posts